Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Purge

    Every 6 months or so, basically around the holidays and after the kids get out of school for the summer, a Purge has to happen!  Yes, I said HAS to Happen.  With 4 of them in school, they bring home so many creations and papers and graded homework, not all of it can stay.  Last year I took pictures of them with all of their artwork.  Then they went in recycling except for ones they were really attached to, those went in a box for them to keep.  With the holidays coming, it is time to go through all the kids clothes to donate or hand down outfits that don't fit the older ones anymore and get rid of any not worth keeping.  Toys, games, anything that is broken is tossed.  I just spent the morning cleaning out hall closets, moving stuff around.  Even pulling out mismatched old sheets, I think I am going to put those in the kids playroom closet for fort building.  The nice part about doing it this time, was the kids had already done some chores and I had sent them outside to play.  The weather is finally cool enough to have all the windows open, so I could hear them but still be productive. 
   Now, I have a living room full of stuff to finalize for donation and then I can finish putting Christmas up.  As silly as it sounds to read about all of this, it makes me happy to go through things and unload some of the clutter.  Granted the kids will be getting new things for Christmas but with 4 kids to at least start with less mess in their room, is helpful.  I even did my own closet a couple of weeks ago and got rid of some things.  It made a huge difference!
     As my husband's schedule gets busier for the holidays, I find having a project to do, especially when it improves the function of my house, helps me feel a sense of accomplishment.  I have felt in the past year that I have so much clutter and I can't actually do fun projects I would like to do.  I have made each of my older 3 a blanket when they were about 3 or 4.  My youngest is 3 1/2 and I would like to start working on one for her.  With some things cleaned up, I was able to find my sewing stuff.  Now I can start searching for the perfect fabric to make her blanket with.  I also need to fix my other kid's blankets.  I am not great at sewing so some of the seams have popped and they need a little stitching.  I enjoy doing it but it all had been put away and piled upon. 
    I am looking forward to the holidays now, baking and sewing and family time!

No comments:

Post a Comment