Tuesday, October 19, 2010

He’s Finally Here!!!

Well I guess I should finally write down the story before I forget anything.  Tuesday morning October 12th, we left our house at 5am to check in at the hospital at 5:30.  My husband’s mother stayed with our oldest kids for the morning shift, thank you Grandma!  We got in and set up.  My blood pressure was a little high from the anticipation of welcoming our little one to our family, we didn’t know if he was a boy or girl so I was naturally super anxious.  As the clocked ticked away and the time got closer to our scheduled 7:30am c-section, I had to consciously remind myself to take big, calming breaths.  I thought about what my kids were doing at home and how we would be calling them shortly to tell them about their new sibling.  The time came and we walked to the operating room, I got on the table, they gave me a spinal block, way different than an epidural. 

Quick side note: I had an epidural with my other kids, which was great, but the spinal block was crazy.  It was a smaller needle that wasn’t attached to any tubes, it was a one time thing and quick.  Within a minute my legs started feeling numb and warm and then that was it, I wasn’t moving from the chest down at all.  It was great!

Back to the rest of the story, they started the c-section and before my son was even completely out of my body and before we knew he was a son, he was crying.  He had the cord wrapped around his throat twice but that didn’t effect him at all.  All 3 of my kids have been active enough in utero that they all had their cords wrapped around them to some degree.  My husband took pictures as soon as he was out so that I could see him, they moved his little bassinet thing as the nurses were cleaning him so that I could see him.  All I could see were his long feet and butt, he was blue when he first came out, but started to pink up right away.  The nurses were guessing how big he was, because he was huge.  You know you have big kids when your doctor even comments that he is glad you didn’t go into labor before the scheduled c-section. 

He ended up being 9 lbs 11 oz and 22 1/2 inches long. He was a little bigger in weight than his big brother, but shorter by about an inch.  He has dark hair and his eyes are lighter than his siblings, so I am hoping that they stay blue. 

After that it was sewing me up and getting me into recovery.  He joined us in our room a little bit after we got into recovery and I finally got to hold him and get a great look at him.  He is so precious and a wonderful addition to our family.  The kids were excited to see him and have been great with him.  They love their little brother and my older son hasn’t had any issues at all.  I was a little worried that he would have some jealousy issues, but he has totally claimed him as his brother and wants to love on him all the time.  I am so happy to have my kids and my husband has been absolutely wonderful!!!  I am still restricted for another 5 weeks, but my staples came out today and some of the pain is gone with that.  We have had some wonderful visitors and help.  My Mother watched the kids that afternoon that we had our son and my Sister stayed overnight with them so that my husband could stay in the hospital with me, thanks Grammy and Auntie!  The kids had a blast with them both and had lots to tell me when they came to the hospital the next day. 

We also set it up our home computer with a webcam and I had my netbook at the hospital and we did video chats, which helped a lot with the kids because they couldn’t be at the hospital for long periods of time before they would start bouncing off the walls.  The whole time we were there, my son was the only baby on the floor, so when I did my walks all the nurses would stop and look at him and because of that it was pretty quiet.  We got to go home on Thursday which was great, that meant I got to start the weekend at home and that we could slowly start getting the kids back to some semblance of normal.  The normal part hasn’t worked so much because Mommy can’t do certain things, Daddy is home to take care of everyone and our schedules have to change, naturally.  The transition is going to be a process, but it always is when you add a new member to the family.  Anyways, I am starting to feel a little more like myself, still tender and sore, but a little less cloudy from the pain meds and starting to wane off of those.  We are super excited to have our son in our family and to see how all the kids grow together.  Now that you have gotten through all the boring stuff, here are some pictures from the last week or so.  Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! He's so cute :) And holy moly I thought I had huge babies!! Get lots of rest and enjoy your new little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO sweet Amanda! Congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete