So we took a whirlwind trip up to Utah this past weekend for our niece's baptism. One of my Husband's Aunt's put it this way, we traveled 24 hours for a 48 hour trip, but it was well worth it. It had been 2 yrs since we had been to visit my brother-in-law and his family. The last time was on our move home from Idaho to Arizona. We got to see who we could. As we were leaving I started thinking of some of my friends that live there and if it hadn't have been such a quick trip, I would have tried to visit people. It was great, the kids got to pick pumpkins from one Great Aunt's garden and play around past their bed time at another Great Aunt and Uncle's house. My daughter got to play with a great bunch of girls that just loved on her and she followed them around all smiles. The baptism was wonderful, the lunch afterwards was yummy and there were lots of people there to show our niece how much she was loved.
The kids did well. About half way up and half way home, we took a much needed break at a park and let the kids run around. We also did a quick drive around Temple Square Saturday night. If it hadn't have been Conference Weekend, it wouldn't have been so crowded and we might have attempted to go for a walk. We will just save that for another visit that hopefully won't be 2yrs from now.
Coming back my husband and I felt strangely invigorated. It was nice to get away for a while and unwind even aside from all the driving. My husband's brother and sister-in-law gave us some reassurance that this part of life does eventually end. My husband graduates with his Bachelor's at the end of the month and as exciting as that is, we are looking at 2 more years for his Master's program, but as it will be a long 2 yrs, it will be well worth it in the end. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the goals for the future, that the every day things can get overlooked. We try to cherish every moment when Daddy is home and he really misses the kids when he is in school, but he knows what he is working for and he is okay with doing it and so are we. The blessing is knowing that when he is finished he will be able to do what he loves and I will be able to help. I am the oldest of my siblings and I loved playing school and being the teacher and grading papers. I will get to help him with that, if he'll let me ;) Good things don't come without sacrifice. Anyways, we are home and safe and now back to the everyday adventures!
Glad you are back and that it was a good trip! I know it might seem hard to enjoy the crazy schooling forever life, but it is it's own kind of good and it does end (and restart) - sometimes even too soon. Sometimes I start thinking that Jeff only has just over a year left (at this point) and get excited. Then I realize that it might just get more busy and crazy then too. It is so important to enjoy the stage you are in, even when looking forward to greater stages. Right now my life is really good, and I don't want to miss that!
ReplyDelete