Saturday, August 7, 2010

I Grow 'em BIG!

Well we got through the doctor's appointment from you know where this week.  I would have appreciated a little heads up on some of the stuff they were going to have us do.  My poor daughter got the full treatment this time and it wasn't fun.  Now don't get me wrong, coming from a medical background I understand and am grateful for the stuff they do, even if it seems excessive for a 4yr old but here is what she had to go through.  She got her finger pricked, which sent her into a screaming cry, then they wanted us to have her give a urine sample.  I could have and probably should have tried to do that BEFORE they pricked her finger because afterwards it was like, YEAH RIGHT!  So she is already traumatized and I know they are both going to have to get shots at the end of the visit, so I am dreading the rest of the appointment.  The worst thing was that originally I was going to have my husband come with me, well because I had to have the 3 hr glucose test the day before, he stayed home and lovingly worked extra hours the rest of the week to make up for it, THANKS BABE!!!  So, I was by myself doing this crazy doctor visit.  Did I mention the bathrooms are not in the actual office, but in their office building, down the hall.  That was the fun part, taking both the kids to the restroom and trying to get the crying to get the crying one to pee in a cup. UGH!


We finally get to the check up part, they both check out fine.  Here are the stats:  4yr old: 3 ft 8in and 42 lbs.
 Almost 2yr old: 3 ft 1/2 in and 33 lbs.  I didn't get the percentiles because they have been above the charts their whole lives so really they are probably still above the charts.  I mean, when trying to make a dress for my daughter I measured her as needing the length of a kids size 7 and the width of a kids size 5, and my son is fitting well into his 3T clothes and will probably need a size up in about 6months, so there ya go.  Now it's the end of the appointment and I know it's coming, the Shots.  I ask them to do my son's first because he only has one.  No big deal, he is done and can be moved off the exam table to the chair, he isn't crying anymore and I have to help hold his sister.  Then my daughter has to have 3 shots and they split it between both arms.  I get her ready and she sees the needle and start to cry and scream, " I DON'T WANT IT!"  My poor girl, I know she doesn't want it, but I believe in vaccinating my kids, so she got the 2 done and I'm like alright almost finished and the nurse switches sides, then I'm like Crap!  We get her all done and it's lots of hugs and telling her its all done and the only good thing the nurse tells me is that she is done with shots until she is 10.  Hallelujah!!!  I tell her you don't have to get any more shots for a long time.  She calms down enough that we can walk out to the car and go home.  One other thing, they both have to have lab work done, after this doctor appointment I am at least waiting another week before I even attempt that, and I am going to try to have my husband go with me because they are not going to be happy kids. 

The next day because our daughter got the worst of the shots and stuff, she did end up having some of the side effects.  She was kinda lethargic and ran a fever for a short time that morning.  A little tylenol and some early naps and she was back to herself that afternoon.  I am really glad I moved their appointments from the original date which was her birthday to a week later, talk about it could have been the worst birthday ever for her.  If you have gotten through this post, congratulations!  Now just think if you had to go through this day, hahaha.  Thank goodness it's over!

No comments:

Post a Comment