Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wedding Day Memories

So, now that I have my baby in bed and my toddler relaxing before bed time, I have a few things I remembered from my wedding day that I would like to share, today being my Anniversary and all. So, the week before my wedding was my 21st birthday, I had already moved into our apartment. As I was getting ready for work, I slipped in the shower and it felt like I did a complete flip. I am not sure what happened, I just hurt my head and left leg and was quite shaken up. So, that weekend was my birthday/bachelorette sleep over with my mom, sisters and best friend at my apartment. We stayed in, I was so sore. The week of my wedding, it rained all week and was threatening to the Friday of my wedding. We got really lucky and it was nice outside all day.

Funniest part of the day...we were late to our own wedding. I am not kidding. We left with plenty of time, thinking, we will just take Loop-101 around and be there in no time. Well, little did we know that during that same weekend was the Barrett-Jackson car auction in Scottsdale. We hit the biggest mess of traffic. We figured, well, they can't start without us. So, once we got to the temple it was a mad rush to get everything done that we needed to before the actual ceremony. It has now become a tradition to watch the Barrett- Jackson car auction every year, in commemoration of our wedding.

My favorite pictures taken were those of my husband and I, our families and us and the crazy nieces/nephews photo. There is one child being thrown in the picture in one corner, one trying to wriggle out of her older brothers grasp on the floor with her backside to the camera and a baby being held up by a parent behind us, as well as a stinky diaper, I think I was holding that one. Anyways, lots of happy craziness.

Our song: "Somebody to Love" by Queen. Totally untraditional, fun song we both enjoyed and meant a lot to us. Daddy/Daughter, Mother/Son song: "Sunshine on My Shoulders" by John Denver. When I was in high school, for a talent show, my Dad came to school and I sang while he played it on the guitar. It is a really special song to me.

I threw the bouquet way too high and it ended up going over my bridesmaids and guests heads. It was a mad rush for who could pick it up off the floor the fastest. I was really embarassed, I thought I would just lob it over my head, I don't know my own strength.

We didn't get to do the traditional blowing bubbles going in the car thing. What happened was that we were taking the truck up to our honeymoon in Prescott. Well, my husband asked his faithful groomsmen to take it to get detailed before the reception and they were to pick it up during, so that it would be there when we were ready to go. The detail place locked the keys in the truck and the groomsmen had to go find the spare, which apparently wasn't easy. We had time to open all our gifts in front of our families and whoever wanted to stay while they were doing all this. So, no pictures of a decorated vehicle because they didn't have time to decorate it while trying to get it to the church on time. We stayed our first night downtown in a Hilton and then left the next morning for Prescott.

Now, since having two kids I apparently have a lapsed memory in things according to my husband. Which has turned out to be true on a few occasions, so he may read this and feel that it is not entirely accurate, but it is how I remembered it. Oh yeah, he calls it my revisionist history. LOL. Here is a recent example of my memory loss, I swore I had never seen the movie, Find Me Guilty with Vin Diesel. I rented it, watched the whole thing and thought it was a decent movie. My husband came home, never having seen it and gave me a brief synopsis of the movie and told me that I had told him about it (so he wouldn't have to watch it, he doesn't like Vin Diesel) after watching it when we lived in Idaho almost 2 years ago. I watched the whole movie and nothing triggered in my memory as being familiar about this movie at all. So, he jokes about my revisionist history but there is truth in it. Anyways, there are some very short ideas of what went on in a very busy day in my life. I am grateful to all who made it possible-our parents, otherwise we wouldn't even exist-and those who were there to participate in the days events -siblings, friends, and other family who made the trip to be with us.

1 comment:

  1. I love the memories. That's what I need to do for my next year anniversary post... all the stuff I remember good or bad about the wedding events etc. I think memory goes with the kids coming. That's okay, maybe it's better to be able to watch a movie you had seen and think it's new, funner than seeing a movie again right :)?

    ReplyDelete